Legal Profession is regarded to be a noble profession. Advocated are the officers of the court. Their efforts solve the conflicts in the society. An advocate defends the rights and liabilities. They hold a unique place in the society. A good advocate should possess some essential qualities. Sir Justice Abott Parry in his book “The Seven Lamps of Advocacy” called these important characteristics of advocacy which are follows:- Honesty, Courage, Industrious, Wit, Eloquence, Judgement and Fellowship.
- – Honesty:- We all have heard a quote i.e., Honesty is the best policy. For a professional lawyer, Honesty is very essentials.
- He must be honest with his client and provide him/her the information about the merits and demerits of the case.
- He must be honest with opposite lawyer too.
- He must be honest towards the law that people reach court for justice and lawyer should fight for the same.
2. – Courage:- Courage is the weapon and it is developed by through deep knowledge of law. He must be courageous.
- He has ability to stand in front of the bench.
- Courage to argue for your case.
- Courage to convince the judge.
- Courage to give the right status of the case to the client.
- Courage to face the consequence for taking a case.
- Ability to persistently persuade self towards keeping updated on current trend too is required.
3. – Industrious:- Nobody in this world can master law because it is like ocean. He must be industrious.
- He should be hard working.
- He should invest sufficient time to understand the case.
- He should invest sufficient time to understand the law provision used.
- He has KAS that is Knowledge, Attitude and Skill.
4. – Wit:- It is ok if you disagree with me, I can’t force you to be right. Wit and presence of mind will give a pause to rethink. It should create the space.
- Humour is one another essential.
- A full day of seriousness, anger, etc. kills everyone’s energy in the court hall and might reduce the productivity of everyone there.
5. – Eloquence:- The Eloquence means fluency in writing and speaking and having a good body language.
- Ability to communicate with the client or witness.
- Ability to influence people towards your point.
- Extensive knowledge of legal language.
6. – Judgement:- Judgement is the decision of the matter to be decide. The last point of view of the case. A good lawyer has ability to get and understand the consequences of the case and estimate the final result of the case. He must be judgemental.
- Ability to anticipate counter arguments.
- Ability to anticipate the questions from the judge.
- A good lawyer should have the 4D skill towards self, client, opposite lawyer and Judge.
7. – Fellowship:- A good lawyer has need to maintain a good relationship with everyone to get success and help in legal arena. He must be of friendly nature.
- Friendship with colleague.
- Respect the entire legal fraternity.
- Respect the client, opposite lawyer and judge as well.