1) Deterrent Theory: This theory of punishment aims to deter the prospective criminals from committing the crime by terrorising them. The offender is punished to set an example for others. This creates fear and thus prevents the crime. The drawback of this theory is that a hardened criminal becomes accustomed to the severity of punishments and deterrence and does not always prevent the offender from committing crime. Deterrence acts on the motive of the offender.
2) Preventive Theory: The aim of this theory is to prevent the offender from committing the crime in future by rendering the offender incapable of the offence permanently or temporarily. Its said prevention is better than cure. In this theory the commission of crime is prevented. This theory aims at disabling the criminal from causing further harm.
3) Reformative Theory: This theory of punishment aims at reforming the criminal. It is a modern times theory of punishment. In this the young criminals are reformed. This theory believes that killing doesn’t cure. The mindset of the criminals is reformed so that he commits no crime in future. The theory aims at rehabilitation of the criminals.
4) Retributive Theory: This theory implies punishment as much as the crime is committed. For example tooth for tooth, eye for eye. It presumes that feeling of revenge us the hard reality of human nature. The state has a right to take action as an injury to an individual is and injury to the society. It aims at striking just balance.
5) Compensatory Theory: This theory aims at compensating the victim. The criminal has to compensate the victim for the harm caused by him to such victim. Motive of an offence may not always be monetary. Hence monetary compensation may be adequate or inadequate for the crime committed.
I have always been against Glorifying Over Work and therefore, in the year 2021, I have decided to launch this campaign “Balancing Life”and talk about this wrong practice, that we have been following since last few years. I will be talking to and interviewing around 1 lakh people in the coming 2021 and publish their interview regarding their opinion on glamourising Over Work.
If you are interested in participating in the same, do let me know.
The copyright of this Article belongs exclusively to Ms. Aishwarya Sandeep. Reproduction of the same, without permission will amount to Copyright Infringement. Appropriate Legal Action under the Indian Laws will be taken.
If you would also like to contribute to my website, then do share your articles or poems at firstname.lastname@example.org
We also have a Facebook Group Restarter Moms for Mothers or Women who would like to rejoin their careers post a career break or women who are enterpreneurs.
We are also running a series Inspirational Women from January 2021 to March 31,2021, featuring around 1000 stories about Indian Women, who changed the world. #choosetochallenge