Fundamental Duties are dealt with article 51A under Part-IV A of the Indian Constitution. The 42nd Amendment Act of 1976 added 10 Fundamental Duties to the Indian Constitution then later in 86th Amendment Act added the 11th Fundamental Duty to the list. The Fundamental Duties have included to make people aware of their social and economic obligations. Fundamental Duties are meant to protect and awaken people to their cultural heritage. These are divided into two moral duty and civic duty. Moral duty cherishing the noble ideals of freedom struggle and civic duty respecting the constitution, National flag, and Anthem.
Also, we should know that Fundamental Duties are confined to Indian Citizens only and do not extend to foreigners unlike a few Fundamental rights. There is no legal sanction against their violation. They are also non-justiciable similar to Directive Principles of State Policies.
The Fundamental Duties are:-
1. Abide by the constitution and respect its ideals and institutions, the national flag and national anthem.
2. Cherish and follow the noble ideals that inspired the national struggle for freedom.
3.Uphold and protect the sovereignty, unity and integrity of India.
4. Defend the country and render national service when called upon to do so.
5. Promote harmony and the spirit of common brotherhood amongst all the people of India transcending religious, linguistic and regional or sectional diversities and to renounce practices derogatory to the dignity of women.
6. Value and preserve the rich heritage of the country’s composite culture.
7. Protect and improve the natural environment including forests, lakes , rivers and wildlife and o have compassion for living creatures.
8. Develop scientific temper humanism and the spirit of inquiry and reform.
9. Safeguard public property and to abjure violence.
10. Strive towards excellence in all spheres of individual and collective activity so that the nation constantly rises to higher levels of endeavor and achievement.
11. Provide opportunities for education to his child or ward between the age of 6 and 14 years.
IMPORTANCE OF FUNDAMENTAL DUTIES.
Fundamental Duties must serve as a reminder to all of us as a profound sense of social responsibility towards our nation and cultural heritage. By everyone performing their duties, even mechanically, would pave the way for a better neighborhood, better society and then ultimately a better nation.
Some Importance are:-
1. They remind Indian Citizens of their duty towards their society, fellow citizen and the nation.
2. The warn citizens against anti-national and anti-social activities.
3. The inspire citizens and promote a sense of discipline and commitment among them.
It was criticized as some of the duties are vague, ambiguous and difficult to be understood by the common man. Also, because their inclusion in the constitution was describes as superfluous as the duties included in the constitution as Fundamental would be performed by the people.
I have always been against Glorifying Over Work and therefore, in the year 2021, I have decided to launch this campaign “Balancing Life”and talk about this wrong practice, that we have been following since last few years. I will be talking to and interviewing around 1 lakh people in the coming 2021 and publish their interview regarding their opinion on glamourising Over Work.
If you are interested in participating in the same, do let me know.
The copyright of this Article belongs exclusively to Ms. Aishwarya Sandeep. Reproduction of the same, without permission will amount to Copyright Infringement. Appropriate Legal Action under the Indian Laws will be taken.
If you would also like to contribute to my website, then do share your articles or poems at email@example.com
We also have a Facebook Group Restarter Moms for Mothers or Women who would like to rejoin their careers post a career break or women who are enterpreneurs.
We are also running a series Inspirational Women from January 2021 to March 31,2021, featuring around 1000 stories about Indian Women, who changed the world. #choosetochallenge