The Constitution of India provides the authorities, that are inherent of recognition, with special powers to exercise with denomination of situations that hold the potential of disturbing the objective of upholding social interest.
The proceedings in general involves the practice where the speaker specifically puts questions and open it for the members to vote in a form of Yes/No in accordance with their opinion over the matter.
The element of the voice vote is that the process entirely includes oral way of expression, via which the speaker concludes in a rough measure of which side was apparently louder, which eventually lead to decide if the opinion as majority is for the fall or support. The inaccuracy or misunderstanding of voice votes have always been controversial because they depend on what speaker has opined or understood leaving loops which eventually create doubts.
This method of voting is recognised by various countries such as United States, United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, India etc., Where its implementation might vary but the foundational purpose is similar. There are plenty of advantages of this method such as;
• Quick method– The members are just made to orally present their point of view at the same moment which makes it quick and least complicated.
• Transparency in communication– Other members get to know of the opinion of each other just within the moment which clarifies the situation for everybody present with transparency.
• Active arrival to decision– The speaker observes the inclination of the members towards one side or the other very quickly and depending upon the situation so listed arrives at a particular decision without any delays.
While on the one hand the method of voting via voice/oral is quick and non delaying in nature ,still it is inherent of alot of disadvantages. Few of which can be listed as;
• Inaccurate– Provided the reason that it’s entirely oral and all the members might at the same time be presenting their opinion distinctly and the speaker solely has to arrive at a decision based on his understanding, which can never be considered as beyond doubt accurate, the method stands as one of the most doubtful and of potential to create misunderstanding.
• Dominating voices – It was also observed at times that the side shouting louder in respect of their opinion sometimes dominated the opinion of others, which gave few of the members unfair advantage over the other.
• Hostile possibilities– Generally the voice votes are not recorded which create the loop for the system where individual members can refrain from their previous opinion of which no evidence on record can be tracked.
On 20 September 2020, the Upper House of Indian Parliament, Rajya Sabha passed the Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill and Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill by the voice votes, wherein, opposition parties are alleging that Deputy Speaker of Rajya Sabha has abused the provision of Voice Vote and declared both the bill passed despite they asked division of votes. Which further attracted a series of controversy and deputy speaker was alleged to have had acted biased ignoring the fact of contrary opinions at a larger scale.
I have always been against Glorifying Over Work and therefore, in the year 2021, I have decided to launch this campaign “Balancing Life”and talk about this wrong practice, that we have been following since last few years. I will be talking to and interviewing around 1 lakh people in the coming 2021 and publish their interview regarding their opinion on glamourising Over Work.
If you are interested in participating in the same, do let me know.
The copyright of this Article belongs exclusively to Ms. Aishwarya Sandeep. Reproduction of the same, without permission will amount to Copyright Infringement. Appropriate Legal Action under the Indian Laws will be taken.
If you would also like to contribute to my website, then do share your articles or poems at email@example.com
We also have a Facebook Group Restarter Moms for Mothers or Women who would like to rejoin their careers post a career break or women who are enterpreneurs.
We are also running a series Inspirational Women from January 2021 to March 31,2021, featuring around 1000 stories about Indian Women, who changed the world. #choosetochallenge