“Life is what I want; dutifulness is also what I want. If I cannot have both, I would rather take dutifulness than life.”
“Killing oneself”- is known as suicide. The mental trauma, the confidence, the urge to end your own life, is arisen due to various reasons. It can be considered as life becoming difficult to live, making death the only escape. The rate of suicide has visibly increased in last 20 years. The vast change seen upon the youth and teenagers the most.
Now one can say, they are just kids, what problem can they have? To answer this, mental health and capacity differs in each and every individual differently. Therefore, a thing happened can be a small thing for you and a bigger issue for the other person. So we never know what works in the brain of the other person. The people who end their lives, have no hope whatsoever to live their life anymore, ending it being the only escape.
So what are the reasons? What amount the damage? Why are people so effected of the happenings around them, enough to end their own lives?
1. Bullying: “seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce (someone perceived as vulnerable)” – be it in school, normally within family members, friends, peers, etc., Sometimes their words effect us so much that we lose control and let the words effect and and gain control of ourselves m we never know, the things we say, create what effect for the other person. Example: ‘A’ generally in a family get-together was said to be a disappointment by his father infront of people because he wasn’t good at math, and family being filled with math scholars, it’s not acceptable. Therefore slowly amounting to mental trauma.
2. Parental pressure: we as society even without thinking put pressure on other people to something even without thinking that they want to do it or not. If someone fails to follow societal norms or does things differently, we question, pull them down, demotivate them, etc. And slowly these things accumulates in our brain as something negative.
3. Relationships: this has been a common objective for suicides in youth. Broken relationships, ending things on toxic or bad terms, effect them so much that they think it’s their end of it. Life is over, and here comes the role of family, how they deal with it is really important. And not only youth is effected, even adults, not being able to accept is being a problem.
4. Society: in general, the things we say, the things we do, for ourselves are sometimes related to others. And maybe due to some of our activities, negative impact is caused. The comments, the general norms, the pressure to survive in the so-called society, fear of following your wants, the fear or people judging, the ill-words, etc., Effects us a lot.
5. Mental health: here in India, we don’t usually give importance to mental health or traumas. We are just like “time will make it better.” Which is generally wrong. Sometimes we need to talk it out, to some medical specialist, today the little things can amount to bigger issues in future. Therefore every school, workplace, family doctor, etc should have one psychological doctor in touch to deal with the same. And even if we do try to work on it, people will call them names, “he/she is mad”, “making an issue big without reasons” etc.
6. Experiences: Life experiences have great effect on us. Example: sexual harrasment at younger age, called names, failing in certain activities, fear of failure, etc. effects us a lot even, and might have negative impact causing us never to leave the dark place.
7. Loss of jobs/ambition/goals: There are instances where someone not able to achieve a certain desired goal disheartens us. Not being able to clear an exam or losing a seat, etc., may cause fear of failure and may think of being a disappointment, can amount to reason for attempting suicide. Furthermore more, losing a job, too can amount to traumas.
To conclude, life is too short to fear something like other people’s opinion. Make yourself strong enough to fight back no matter what. And if ever you feel weak, talk to someone be it friend, family, someone close to you, or even a professional. Nobody knows your struggle and nobody will understand so make yourself strong no matter what , as when you speak your story, you should be proud of yourself that you have come such a long way.
I have always been against Glorifying Over Work and therefore, in the year 2021, I have decided to launch this campaign “Balancing Life”and talk about this wrong practice, that we have been following since last few years. I will be talking to and interviewing around 1 lakh people in the coming 2021 and publish their interview regarding their opinion on glamourising Over Work.
If you are interested in participating in the same, do let me know.
The copyright of this Article belongs exclusively to Ms. Aishwarya Sandeep. Reproduction of the same, without permission will amount to Copyright Infringement. Appropriate Legal Action under the Indian Laws will be taken.
If you would also like to contribute to my website, then do share your articles or poems at email@example.com
We also have a Facebook Group Restarter Moms for Mothers or Women who would like to rejoin their careers post a career break or women who are enterpreneurs.