What is ISO Certification?
Some companies have ISO 9001:2015 printed on their products. This is a form of expressing that the company can be trusted because it has an international certification that its quality management system meets international standards.
International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) is an international standard setting organisation. It was founded on February 23, 1947. The organisation promotes worldwide proprietary, industrial and commercial standards. ISO is headquartered in Geneva and has 165 member countries worldwide. It was one of the first organizations that was granted general consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
Membership of ISO
ISO is a voluntary organization whose members are recognized authorities on standards; each member represents a country. Members meet once a year at a General Assembly to discuss the strategic objectives of ISO. There are three types of members in the International Organisation for Standardization:
- Member bodies : There are 121 member countries in ISO. They influence ISO standards development and strategy by participating and voting in ISO technical and policy meetings. Only these 121 member countries have voting rights.
- Correspondents : They observe the development of ISO standards and strategy by attending ISO technical and policy meetings as observers. Correspondent members can also sell and adopt ISO international standards nationally.
- Subscriber : ISO has 4 subscriber members who are countries with small economies. They pay reduced membership fees, but can follow the development of standards.
More than 20,000 standards have been set by ISO covering topics which include manufacturing products, technology, food safety, agriculture and healthcare. Some of the popular standards developed by ISO are :
- ISO 9001 : This is the world’s best known international standard for quality management. This standard ensures that the goods and services consistently meet the customers’ requirements.
- ISO 45001 : It is the standard for occupational health and safety management system. This standard focuses on reducing workplace hazards and makes sure that everyone gets home safely.
- ISO 14001 : This is the standard for environmental management. It provides assurance to management, employees and stakeholders that the environmental impact of the company is being measured and improved.
- ISO 22000 : It is the international standard for food safety management. It ensures that the food we eat is safe. It focuses on the highest level of food safety throughout the entire life cycle of food.
- ISO 27001 : This is the standard set internationally for information security management system. It maintains the security for any kind of digital information. It helps an organisation manage the security of its assets such as financial information, intellectual property and employee data. It is a systematic approach for managing information that is considered sensitive and has a significant value.
All these standards provide a certain level of quality or environment or the credibility of companies. Consumers and clients trust the company more if they follow international standards and are competent to maintain their quality and consistency. Hence, ISO certification are strictly trademarked and cannot be acquired using bribes or crooked methods. BIS hallmark is used to assure the quality of gold in India. Similarly, ISO is used to assure the quality of companies and their various products.
I have always been against Glorifying Over Work and therefore, in the year 2021, I have decided to launch this campaign “Balancing Life”and talk about this wrong practice, that we have been following since last few years. I will be talking to and interviewing around 1 lakh people in the coming 2021 and publish their interview regarding their opinion on glamourising Over Work.
If you are interested in participating in the same, do let me know.
The copyright of this Article belongs exclusively to Ms. Aishwarya Sandeep. Reproduction of the same, without permission will amount to Copyright Infringement. Appropriate Legal Action under the Indian Laws will be taken.
If you would also like to contribute to my website, then do share your articles or poems at firstname.lastname@example.org
We also have a Facebook Group Restarter Moms for Mothers or Women who would like to rejoin their careers post a career break or women who are enterpreneurs.
You may also like to read: