Freedom of Expression Vs. Comedy

There is often a statement made by people in the media, that our Country lacks Freedom of Expression. Stand up Comedy is a trend that picked up pace in the last few years. Open Mics, Live Performances and YouTube, were at its peak in the last few years.

Comedy, was always a part of our entertainment industry since forever. However, since the last decade, the definition of Comedy has changed. With no clear laws on the Censorship applicable on the content broadcasted on Internet, a lot of artist took the same for granted. People started openly uploading content with swear words and abusive language saying that the internet has young audience and they love such content with Abusive Language. Slowly and steadily using Abusive words and swear words became a norm and any standup act.

In the last few years, openly body shaming a person, insulting a person for their physical traits and their habits have become the new normal. The Kapil Sharma Show, which is the hub of Film Promotions, openly promotes degrading women and abusing women on Television. Just because the said show is packaged well and is promoted by Celebrities, they have made it a part of our lifestyle.

Comedy during the 80’s and 90’s even prior to that still had some standard. Nobody laughed at other person’s expense. Shows such as Dekh Bhai Dekh, touched the lives of the middle class and also gave social messages, along with clean Comedy. Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s films, did not use abusive or cuss words. Even the servants in those movies were treated with respect, they were treated as family members and today’s shows openly kick the women and servants on stage.

They say it is the toughest to make a person laugh and the easiest to make a person cry. Some how, our comedians have chosen the easiest route. Abuse a person to the extend that others laugh at his misery.

These days, the so called comedians have not even spared the Gods and Religious practices. The Comedians can be great influencers, yet to choose to behave irresponsibly. We always say, that Hollywood makes sensible movies than Bollywood. But how many times, have we taken an effort to watch a content, which does not promote abuse. It is not the fault of the Film Makers and the Comedians. Simultaneously, it is also the fault of the Audience, who have been laughing at such ridiculous content.

A Country that already has problems such as Domestic Violence, Mental Health issues, which is increasing at a faster pace, we need to be aware about the consequence of the statements that we make in public. On one side, we claim to be fighting against all artificial standards of beauty set by the society, yet on the other side, we openly abuse a person, for their body structure, skin colour and physical features. We claim to be a Country, which respects Women as Goddess but never leave a chance to laugh on them, when they are degraded. We say that we respect our mother and our motherland but each of our cuss words include abusing women. Yet we claim that content to be funny.

Every Individual has freedom of expression, but if the same hurts the sentiments of others, there should be a limit to the same. Freedom of Expression never meant Promoting hatred or promoting abuse. Freedom of Expression means standing up for the wrong that has been done against you. Freedom of Expression means asking for your basic rights, like right to survive with dignity. If Freedom of Expression is basic right, then Life with Dignity is also basic right.

This blog post is part of the blog challenge ‘Blogaberry Dazzle’ hosted by Cindy D’Silva and Noor Anand Chawla, and generously SPONSORED BY Bugshield Clothing – Enjoy Outdoors More!

Aishwarya Says:

I have always been against Glorifying Over Work and therefore, in the year 2021, I have decided to launch this campaign “Balancing Life”and talk about this wrong practice, that we have been following since last few years. I will be talking to and interviewing around 1 lakh people in the coming 2021 and publish their interview regarding their opinion on glamourising Over Work.

If you are interested in participating in the same, do let me know.

Do follow me on FacebookTwitter  Youtube and Instagram.

The copyright of this Article belongs exclusively to Ms. Aishwarya Sandeep. Reproduction of the same, without permission will amount to Copyright Infringement. Appropriate Legal Action under the Indian Laws will be taken.

If you would also like to contribute to my website, then do share your articles or poems at adv.aishwaryasandeep@gmail.com

We also have a Facebook Group Restarter Moms for Mothers or Women who would like to rejoin their careers post a career break or women who are enterpreneurs.

We are also running a series Inspirational Women from January 2021 to March 31,2021, featuring around 1000 stories about Indian Women, who changed the world. #choosetochallenge

You may also like to read:

Anti Defection Law

Are we serious about saving our environment

Inspirational Women – Chavvi Rajawat

23 Comments Add yours

1. Alpana Deo says:

Second your thoughts. I agree to what you wrote on Kapil Sharma’s show. Sometimes, it irritate me to watch Archana Puransingh and the audience laugh at some nonsense jokes.

Freedom of expressions should be used when it is needed and we should be aware about our words and what affect they have another’s lives.

Liked by 1 person

1. Exactly ! so true on the last part .. What effect they have on other’s lives ? We often forget to take that into consideration.

2. People in general doesn’t understand where to draw a line. I agree when you say that there should be clear laws on the Censorship for the content broadcasts on Internet, Must needed post.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks. When you talk about the restrictions. People feel that they have been restrained and there is a threat to Freedom of Expression.

3. Supriti says:

YOu are very right.. Dekh bhai Dekh was an iconic comedy serial. Nothing can match up to that. today in the name of comedy you either body-shame or use double-meaning jokes. . Even on internet people using abusive language in the name of slang, is leaving a detrimental impact on society. Kids are picking up this language and incorporating it in their life as the new normal.

Liked by 1 person

1. That is so true and then they blame the world saying the new generation does not know how to respect elders and blah blah.

4. I totally agree with you. There is no fun in watching today’s comedy serials.

Liked by 1 person

1. So true. Its better to watch the re-runs of the old serials.

5. Vasumathi says:

I connect with this post so much. I dont watch any of the standup comedy shows at all because I feel their main objective is to entertain at somebody else’s expense. That is not showcasing their talents. Cuss words, degrading comments and general ill humour put me off after a couple of views. Now i cringe if Iam sitting with friends together & they ask “hey have watched this standup comedy”. I always wondered if i was alone in feeling this….but glad to see a voice to my thoughts from another person.

Liked by 1 person

1. Hey, I have felt this from long and also shared it with my friends who are from the media industry. They said that I was too old and not enthusiastic enough to blend with the trend

6. You have pointed out some very relevant points here Aishwarya, Comedy ke naam pe it is all bullshit nowadays. Dekh bhai dekh was iconic, even Sarabhai vs Sarabhai was so well-received and we still can’t get over the saas-bahu nok jhok..and today all we see and hear is sexist jokes, double meaning statements, demeaning women via the jokes, body shaming and making fun of people with disabilities. Our society has very well accepted these ne

7. You have pointed out some very relevant points here Aishwarya, Comedy ke naam pe it is all bullshit nowadays. Dekh bhai dekh was iconic, even Sarabhai vs Sarabhai was so well-received and we still can’t get over the saas-bahu nok jhok..and today all we see and hear is sexist jokes, double meaning statements, demeaning women via the jokes, body shaming, and making fun of people with disabilities. Our society has very well accepted these new norms in the name of freedom of expression I guess…

1. I find it amusing, on one hand we encourage body shaming and demeaning people in name of Comedy. On the other side, we also claim to talk about Mental Health and breaking stereotypes about Image

1. I agree! Irony of our society.

8. Raunica says:

Completely second all that has been said. The stuff that goes for comedy these days are humiliating and sometimes even down right depressing. I really hesitate when a live comedy act is going on cause you never know if your going to be the butt of all jokes.

1. That is so true. I had been to a live event once and that was my last one.

9. Harjeet Kaur says:

Freedom of expression is balanced with a sense of duty to fellow human beings but that is just swept aside.I never liked Kapil’s shows and I am made fun of by people around me. How crudely he depicts men in a women’s garb and then derides them. Comedy should be clean fun now body and sex shaming like we get to watch.Sad but true but most people are lapping it all up

10. shail says:

I agree with you that Kapil Sharma Show has really dropped down the standard of comedy, the old serials such as office office, dekh bhai dekh, Sarabhai vs Sarabhai were really amazing but I defer on your thoughts for stand up comedy. I watch stand up comedy and enjoy, me and my friends have been to such a show and have enjoyed being roasted also. It shows that comedy they do does not always require a script and engaging with the audience and on the spot comedy is commendable.

11. Ritu says:

This is so true. These days, just about anything goes in the garb of freedom of speech. The audience is to be blamed as well as it is more accepting of roasts, shaming, and all kinds of negativity than genuine humor.

12. Abha Mondal says:

That’s a strong post I have read today. I totally agree with you. Nowadays comedy shows have crossed all limits. You can’t even watch these shows with family. It’s true that this is not only the fault of film makers. Audience and viewers also like their content.

13. mahekg says:

When I think of comedy you may call me old school thought I only enjoy Hrishikesh Mukherjee films they can be watched anytime repeatedly and still one will never be bored of it.

14. Archana says:

I am so glad someone has put the point so right about the things going on in the name of comedy. not only shows even comedy movies are not watchable anymore. About Kapil Sharma Show it has stoop so low from its level it used to be. The crux of comedy has lost somewhere in every show and movie.

15. Totally agree abusing in the name of comedy, shaming a person are what people make easier ways to succeed in comedy