Employing children below 14 years old age is called child labour. International Convention of the Rights of Child says that employing anybody below 18 years of age would amount to child labour. Children are employed because they are required to do some delicate work which can be done only by children. Apart from this reason, children are paid low wages
What are the causes of child labour?
- Poverty and low economic development
- Failure of education system
- Social and caste related issues
- Low expenditure on rural infrastructure
- Quality of life is reducing
Manifestations of child labour
- Domestic Child labour- Children are employed here as domestic servants or domestic helps
- Agricultural or farms child labour
- Industies- silk and saree industries, tobacco industry and that too beedi industry, gem industries or polishing of gem industries, jewellery or fire cracker, carpet industries, mines especially iron ore mines
- Street, shops, restraunts, amusement centres, workshops.
Children are subjected to hardwork in hazardous industries, there are cases where parents took loan from the employer and when unable to repay, they sent their child where there is no fixed working hours, where the child are subjected to drug trafficking, or either pushed to prostitution or sexual harassment and becomes the victim of commercial exploitation as well. The consequences of which they are subjected to health hazards or problems.
Remedies/ Conventions/ Act
- Geneva Declaration on Rights of Child, 1924
- UN Declaration of Human Rights, 1948
- International Conventions of Rights of Child, 1989
- Child Labour Prohibition And Rrgulation Act, 1986
The maximum child labour is found in Andhra Pradesh, lowest in Kerela. Other areas are Karnataka, M.P, Rajasthan and Gujarat.
The copyright of this Article belongs exclusively to Ms. Aishwarya Sandeep. Reproduction of the same, without permission will amount to Copyright Infringement. Appropriate Legal Action under the Indian Laws will be taken.
If you would also like to contribute to my website, then do share your articles or poems at email@example.com
We also have a Facebook Group Restarter Moms for Mothers or Women who would like to rejoin their careers post a career break or women who are enterpreneurs.
You may also like to read: