The recent news of a 5 year old child raping another child of nearly same age, has shocked the world. Could this even be for real is the first question that arose in everyone’s mind ? What exactly must have transpired that teenage pregnancy and the amount of illegal abortions are increasing in our country ?
For once, today children are knowingly or unknowingly aware about sex even before they understand. The Digital kids believe in experimentation and therefore are not shy of taking that one step ahead to experiment what they read about. Children as young as 5 and 6 are somewhat aware about sex, thanks to YouTube and other digital portals.
If we give right sex education to our children, probably, in future we would be able to see less amount of Sexual Abuse cases of both genders, Lesser amounts of Divorce, Lesser amount of Suicide due to depression.
So how exactly do you explain them about Sex and how important it is educate about it.
- The earlier the better. When you think your child is mature enough to understand the reality and to handle the real details of life, you should have the talk with them. There is no age per se but as per me anything above 7 years should be good enough for them;
- Sex Talk is just not about reproduction. Explain them about sexual orientation and also about the LGBTQ community, who are also a part of our society and its absolutely normal to be a part of the LGBTQ community;
- Explain them about how the gender of the child is decided. The difference between the two sets of chromosomes and how men determine the gender of the child and not women;
- It is also important to talk to them about infertility, which is natural and may be a problem for both men and women. It is not always a woman’s fault if the couple does not have children.
- Talk to them about Periods and its impact on the female body, if on some days mommy is unwell then it is natural, if on some days mommy cries non-stop or is angry, then its a part of the cycle. Girls and boys both need to be aware about lifestyle diseases such as PCOD and PCOS and its impact. Ovulation is another aspect that you can cover;
- Explain them to respect the opposite gender, Girls and boys are equally strong and weak in different ways. No gender is superior to the other, we both are interdependent;
- Tell them its perfectly normal to be weak on certain days and feel strong the next day, hormones mess up everyone’s lives at some point of time;
- Sex is fun, but it is also about emotions. There is a fine line between lust and emotions and sometimes, when both of these mix up, problems arise;
- The most important, talk to them about different types of protection and their importance. A survey by Durex revealed that Indian men hate condoms for varied reasons, explain them the importance of protected sex.
- NO is a perfectly acceptable answer. If the front person or if you yourself irrespective of your gender feel that you do not want to have sex now, then its perfectly fine to say no. If your partner rejects you or emotionally manipulates you, then its a smart hint, just move on. Explain them that sex does not make you empowered, having sex at the right age at the right person is important. Just because your best friend had sex does not mean that you need to have sex;
- Sexually Transmitted Disease is a reality and can happen to both men and women. It is not only women who carry these diseases, even men do carry these diseases;
If in any doubt, as them to check with you. If they read some article, or if their friends give some wrong information about sex, it is perfectly normal to discuss it with your parents.
The first source of any information should be through parents. If children get the first information from their parents, then they feel comfortable discussing it with them. In today’s time, it has become all the more important to talk about sex openly considering the number of offences against humanity is increasing in the society. Wrong information from the wrong source is the main reason for this.
It is not important to talk all of the above to your 7 year old today, but gradually at every stage, when the time is right you can talk to them about the same.
P.C. Samoa Observer, Time.com, galaxe.org, family-wikinut, Hellomagazine.com, Marie stopes, the Grind Stone, minority aids support,picture quote, reacho, Thrive Global.