How I dealt with stage fear

Since  Childhood, I was a very reticent person and writing was my way of expression. The first time, I went on stage was when I was 5 years, in senior K.G. To recite the thirsty crow story. From here, began my relationship with the stage. Dancing was something, that made me happy, it just took me to another world.

Fast Forward to my college years, during my Mass Media days, there was not a single occasion, when I did not host an event on the stage. While many those around me, were gripped with stage fear, I was full of excitement, whenever, I went on to the stage. There was always this beautiful sensation, that arose, which I cannot express in words here.

Stage fright is a natural phenomenon to be frank sometimes even I get the same and here is how I dealt with the same:

Preparing the right content:

1. Be prepared with your content thoroughly;
  2. Do not mug up your content, while, it may help you to a certain extent but a lot of times your audience may find it too mechanical and may not relate to you;
  3. Always prepare your content, considering the mindset of your audience. For example, if you are going to prepare your talk in English before a majority of Hindi speaking audience, then definitely, your talk is not going to impress the audience. Always ask, who are the set of audience and prepare your content as per their wavelength;
  4. Your language of communication should be the one is which, you are most comfortable. If possible do not choose to address in a language that you are not well versed with;
  5. There is no stringent rule to use fancy language and unique vocabulary, sometimes, even the most simplest content has the most powerful impact on people.

Body Language:

1. Always stand on both your legs, standing for prolonged hours on one leg can also harm your body;
  2. Always dress comfortably as per the occasion, do not overdo it. Your comfort on the stage  is  what is more important.For example,it is  not mandatory to wear high heels while presenting;
  3. Always maintain eye contact, with your audience, do not let them feel left out;
  4. If possible avoid carrying long sheets of your speech, but carry small chits, with pointers, so that they don’t confuse you;
  5. Mingle, with your audience before your speech, this will help you calm your nerves;
  6. Generally 15 mins before my speech or talk, I read it for one last time,  and then to calm down I usually play candy crush or any other similar games.

Always remember, it is acceptable to be slow, it is not necessary that the louder you get, the more people would agree with you, so do not go overboard, and control your emotions. Do not get emotional on the stage. Politely answer the question, if you cannot answer  the questions, you can always buy time.

The most important enjoy your time, be on the stage because you want to do it,not because  you were forced to do it..

23 Comments Add yours

1. akshayathulasi98 says:

Nice !!
    Once me too experienced stage fear
    I think this blog will be useful for all those have stage fear .
    Well written !!
    Keep it up 💜

Liked by 1 person

1. Hey thanks
      Please do share it with your friends n let them know

Liked by 1 person

1. akshayathulasi98 says:

Sure !!

Liked by 1 person

2. i for one, freeze at the thought of stage fright. I will try to implement these points next time. hope they help me 🙂

1. Do implement and do let me know…

3. arva says:

I love the stage too. It brings out a different side of my personality. It’s like a switch that gets turned on.. this writeup is very apt and to the point.

4. Gurjeet says:

Same with me, and I wish my daughter does not have this fear. It is sign if low confidence. Great tips and will work on it

5. Anita Erayi says:

This is a very helpful blog

6. roopikais607 says:

Oh this has always been a struggle with me during childhood days! But now I try and incorporate activities related to public speaking that make it easier for our kids to imbibe this skill. You must read this- I am sure you will find it as an extension to the views expressed here-http://www.gomommy.in/8-ways-to-make-public-speaking-easier-for-your-child/

7. Stage fright is something I deal with when public speaking. I love your tip about mingling before speaking. I’ll give that a try next time!

8. aisasami says:

Great tips. I want to experience stage fear (maybe I do in the insides from time to time) but I am always pushed out into the center stage due to work or other commitments.

9. amayszingblogs says:

I remember this during my college days! I have an fear to discuss my report at the stage! HAHAHAH! very nice tip! I’ve been through on that before!

10. What an honest post! These are some awesome tips and ideas. I used to have this fear. Finally, I got over it in senior year…OF COLLEGE! Things take time. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

11. These are wonderful tips to help those with stage anxiety. I was full of fear anytime I had to go on stage as a young child right through high school. I was very shy as a child from a young age.

12. toastycritic says:

Those are good things to think about when you are suffering from stage fright. I find it interesting to remember they are just as nervous about things as you are.

13. Ruma says:

I wish I saw this blog before. This was always my problem too, and even now sometimes. Thanks for sharing 🙂

14. Jonah says:

Ah, the stage fright. I’m glad I’m finally done with anything that is related to stage (performance, recitation, reporting, speech, etc.) but to be honest I don’t know if it is really stage frigh or I just have social phobia. Anyway, thanks for this informative blog post. I bet a lot of us would benefit from this.

15. Liev Cruz says:

When I was younger I battled with stage fright all myself. But when I started going in college. I out grown that feeling. I agree with your no. 1 tips. Just always be prepared.

1. yes being prepared helps

16. gscores says:

Some great points you made there, I can remember vividly when i started playing the keyboard newly to large audience and always shakes when i play.

1. sometimes it happens…

17. Gladys Nava says:

What a nice topic of article. When I am reading this, I remembered my stage fear LOL

1. 🙂 happy that I reminded you of something